It's The End Of The World As We Know It

My youngest son, as did my two older children before him, is learning to play the recorder as a school project.  He wanders around the house piping out "Ode to Joy" and other recorder mega-hits, but we don't mind.  Maybe he is the next Zamfir.  He also is learning to play the guitar, in the process becoming the first actual musician in our household.   
I never learned to play a musical instrument and have always regretted it. Later in her life, my oldest sister learned the piano and now is a beautiful player who can master the most difficult compositions. However, we were not a musical family. As a third child with much older siblings, I instead was left to fend for myself. I experimented with high voltage electricity, played with matches, fell out of trees, trespassed, and did all the things that overlooked third children do to entertain themselves.  Music was not part of the program.  Who knows, I might have been a natural, but no one bothered to find out.   So, thinking that now was the time to see if I had some sort of heretofore undiscovered savantism, last Christmas I bought myself an electric guitar.  I am learning to play, but my hoped-for hidden talent apparently lies elsewhere.   There will be no shortcuts for me. If, as Malcolm Gladwell hypothesizes, it takes 10,000 hours of applied effort to become proficient at any endeavor, I am looking at a 27-year learning curve if I practice one hour a night five times a week.  Looks like I waited a little too long to get busy with this.
Something else musically interesting is happening in our home.  My wife, who spends more time in the car with the kids than I do, has adopted the FM radio tastes of my soon-to-be-teenaged daughter-Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber.  I have no idea who these people are. Well, maybe Lady Gaga, and not because of her music but because she goes around wearing a fruit basket on her head.  I admit to being a bit of a music snob, so my future wife amazed me in 1987 when I learned that she preferred R.E.M. and Bruce Springsteen to Earth, Wind, and Fire and the Gap Band.  Clearly, she was an exception to the funk-loving women of her generation and was thus exceptional. Alas, no more.

But while my wife's musical tastes are evolving (I guess), mine seem to be regressing. I can appreciate a fine funky groove, but I like my music two ways: loud and hard. This, however, is a recent development. The bands that were too loud and had too much hair for me in the 1970s are now on the first-team.  Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, AC/DC, ZZ Top, even Jethro Tull.  Tull is an exception to my guitar preference but I respect that he was able to make the flute a hard rock instrument.  He must have watched alot of H.R. Pufnstuf or something.
Last year I bought a Sonos music system for our house.  It is the best thing ever. It allows me to stream music from my computer to any Sonos-enabled room in the house. There's just one problem. No one in my house likes my music.  When I want to "get the Led out" I have to do it when no one is at home.  I'm Peter Brady, having the party that no one attends.  Even the dog runs outside.  What is happening? Am I turning into a midlife burnout? My wife thinks so. She has become Fergie and I am Jeff Spicoli.  Somehow we are making it work.

"Aloha, Mr. Hand!"

Comments

  1. Zamfir, H R Pufnstuf, and Spicoli... well played, Sir, on the pop culture references. While I'm not sure whether my musical tastes are evolving or devolving, it has been interesting seeing the musical taste of my nephews.

    Last year I got an iPod loaded with my oldest nephew's tunes... he's a sophomore at UGA. While I was forced to wade through a sonic quagmire filled with hip-hop and unoriginal jam band pap, I was gratified to discover that his group has an appreciation for much of the music of our halcyon days. I wasn't surprised to find that old southern rock was on his playlists, but I couldn't help but smile when I saw Molly Hatchet, since I vividly remember charging home my purchase of "Flirtin' With Disaster" at the Woodberry bookstore.

    And, along with several of the groups you mentioned, I was surprised to find the variety of classic rock that they listen to... not stuff you would hear on radio. I laughed at first when I saw Three Dog Night, but I'd forgotten how some of their lesser known tunes rocked.

    I also learned about some new groups through him... particularly, John Butler Trio, whom I highly reccomend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post Seward, thank you! As a teacher, I rely heavily on my children to keep me up to date on the music scene! some 7th grade girls performed Kesha's Tik Tok at a school event recently, all the bad words beeped out, and my son's friend nicknamed the girls the "Mini Hos". It's always fun to let your showgirl side come out. (Think Madonna on that table in that fraternity)

    I've also been surprised by how much my eldest son likes the Who and Led Zeppelin, it's not like we play it, he just finds it on the house ipod.

    You've always had the best taste in music and have taught me much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, lean more Molly Hatchet than Miley Cyrus. Having said that, "Party In The USA" gets me running faster than "Flirtin With Disaster" when it cues up on my iPod shuffle. Works every time.

    So I thank Miley('s writers, handlers, sound engineers) for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seward,

    It will only take you about 27 minutes to get your guitar groove going if you can get it loud enough. I have a bigger amp 5 houses down the street if this will help. I should be able to hear it from there when you get it right...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad you like Lady Gaga's song Telephone so don't say you don't know who she is for her music!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts